I was reading an article the other day on Heart IFB about the importance of vulnerability in blogging and the value of being your true, authentic self for your readers. It definitely makes sense and it got me thinking about how important it is for me, as a blogger and a person, to be authentic and real when it comes to blogging.
For me, it’s not about fame or whatever in blogging, it’s just about being known, being heard over the massive chatter that is the internet.
I read so many blogs and while many of them are awesome, thought-provoking, and interesting to read about, a lot of them have what I would call a typical “blogger voice” which the blogger will use to either sound professional, interesting, etc. It’s not that this is bad, but more than that, it’s just tired and boring at this point with so many others doing the same thing all the time.
The mass of blog posts begin to feel like a wave of commercials in my head all at once which can be exhausting instead of enjoyable to read.
I realize I’m not always following the herd with what I blog, but at the end of the day, it’s my blog and while I’d like the information to be interesting and fun for my readers, I also want it to be fun for me.
After all, I don’t get paid to do this; I simply enjoy it.
Also, it is super important for me to be authentic in my writing, whether it’s here on my blog or anywhere else because that is, in my opinion, the best way to get someone’s attention and really make them think and consider what you write. Not that I’m writing revolutionary stuff here on beauty, fashion and lifestyle, but they are my honest and true thoughts.
I hope that says something, even if the only message is who I am and nothing more – I’ll be content with that.
Anyhow, if you would like to read the article on HeartIFB, you can see their post on this topic here. Apologies for my bit of a ramble on this, but it brings me to an idea that all of this nonsense spawned which is the tag below! I created it, but I hope you guys will do the tag, pass it on, have fun and all that jazz.
I hope it helps you channel your own authentic self and sense of blogging vulnerability… or whatever.
*Side Note: Special thanks to the amazing HeartIFB writers for bringing the topic to mind & inspiring this tag!*
- Link the original creator of this tag, Storybook Apothecary, in your post.
- Link back to & Thank the person who tagged you.
- Answer the questions, Confess 5 Random Things About Yourself & Add your own confessions, if you like!
- Tag others to do the tag, let them know you’ve tagged them & pass it on!
- Keep being awesome 😉
- What is your main goal in blogging? My main goal is to meet people, do beauty swaps, try tons of beauty products, share my favorite things with others, express myself and hopefully I can help people a bit along the way. It would also be awesome if my posts made someone smile each day.
- Why did you start your blog? I started my blog as a way to express myself and connect with others who are passionate about the same things as me.
- How do you feel about paid bloggers v. unpaid bloggers? I don’t really think one is better or worse than the other. In my opinion, bloggers are bloggers. Some are good, some are not, some are just okay, and some are exceptional. If you are fortunate enough to get paid to do what you love, that’s fantastic, but if you do it as a hobby and not for compensation, that’s great too.
- To ombre or not to ombre in beauty? Yes in beauty! Just not in clothing. To me, ombre in fashion just looks like a new age tie dye. Ew.
- Love it or hate it – BB, CC, Etc. Creams? I really love the OG Korean BB Creams, but it’s getting super tired now that it’s so mainstream. I still love them, but I just think the term BB cream is now being tossed around like hot cakes without any real integrity so now it’s a bit unfortunate and confusing for consumers.
- What do you think the meaning of fashion is? To express yourself, to inspire change, to provoke thought, to empower, to seduce, to make others smile, to instill a rebellious spirit, and to brighten a cloudy day.
5 Random Confessions About Me:
- My favorite dessert is movie theater popcorn with peanut M&Ms.
- I would like Oingo Boingo’s “Dead Man’s Party” to play at my funeral and I want everyone to dance and celebrate like it’s a party so I can hover all ghost-like and be like ” DANCE MORTALS!” Just kidding. About the ghost bit, that is.
- When I was 15, I told several people I had premonitions and then proceeded to act faint all the time when I was having said “premonitions”. That is probably the stupidest lie I’ve ever told, but I was really obsessed with this book series. Don’t judge!
- After my boyfriend broke up with me in high school for hanging out with my friends more than with him, I didn’t much care, but I felt so bad for him (he seemed more upset about it than me) that I staged an elaborate scheme where I wrote how much I loved him in a notebook and “accidentally” let him find it. He proceeded to act really creeped out by my “love” haha. I just didn’t want him to be sad over me.
- When I was in elementary school, I would annually sing and/or dance for my entire family on holidays. No joke. I would choreograph the dances myself and/or sing into a microphone my dad bought me. The dances were pretty awful and in true parenting fashion, my parents have recorded many of these. I’m pretty sure it’s for future blackmail purposes, but that’s just me.
So, after all those confessions, Are we, like, BFFs now? 😀
I hope you enjoyed this post and sorry for the massive length, but hopefully you don’t mind too much!
I tag anyone and everyone who wants to do this tag. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to post your answers in the comments – I would love to read your answers! If you have a blog, please link me to your post if you do the tag.