If there’s one thing I absolutely despise, it’s breakouts!
Whether you have unsightly spots here and there or larger clusters in various parts of your face, it can really do a number on your self confidence, but there are several ways I wage war on breakouts when they show their ugly little faces on mine. I hope you find these tips helpful in your own quest to blemish free, flawless and glowing skin!
- Cleanse Thoroughly, But Gently. Whenever you have a spot or even if you just have annoying blackheads that refuse to go away, remember to cleanse well. Sometimes, people just get blackheads or whiteheads because they don’t properly cleanse. If you wear makeup or sunscreen, you should always be double cleansing, unless you own and cleanse with a Clarisonic. If you’re unfamiliar, double cleansing just means to cleanse 2X. If you own and use a Clarisonic, though, cleansing once is probably enough. Make sure that whatever cleanser or cleansers you use are not drying to your skin. You can check for drying ingredients on the ingredient list before purchasing. Look for ingredients that end in sulfate. Sulfate cleansing ingredients are basically cheap soap and can often be really drying to the skin. Avoid these! Some mild sulfates may be okay, but it depends on your skin type. If you have dry skin, I would say to cleanse with oil or a soap free cleanser.
- DO NOT POP! I REPEAT, DO NOT POP! Seriously. I speak from experience when I say don’t do it! The only time there should be any extractions happening is when you’re at the dermatologist or facialist! They know what they are doing and how best to avoid scarring. As someone who now suffers from many little acne scars from my days of picking, scarring SUCKS! Prevent the annoying anguish by not picking or popping.
- Don’t Fear the Oil. A lot of women I know have an almost phobia-like paranoia about oils and it’s so unfounded! I think that more importantly than fearing oil, you should fear the wrong kinds of oils for your skin. Some may be too heavy for your skin type while others might not give you the moisture you need. Check out this article I wrote – here – for which oils are right for which skin types. When I get breakouts, redness or irritation, the first thing I do is cleanse my skin and then I do the second cleanse with some kind of oil or cleansing oil because a lot of times, my skin may be suffering from dryness or just needs the extra nourishment. In these cases, my breakouts and redness clear right up when I oil cleanse. This is also a great way to bring extra moisture to super dry skin, but without the oily feeling (if that’s something you dislike). I make my boyfriend let me do oil cleansing on his face whenever he breaks out because he hates using moisturizers. This allows me to help hydrate his skin without the feeling of a moisturizer that he doesn’t like affecting him.
- Exfoliate. Whenever I break out, I have a specific routine. Cleanse, oil cleanse, and sometimes, if I am coming up on my weekly exfoliation, I will just exfoliate a day ahead of time. This is a bit precarious as over-exfoliation can do more damage than good. I only exfoliate 1-2 times a week, depending on how much my skin needs it. Doing it too much can cause your skin to become sensitive, dry, irritated and even worsen conditions like acne or redness that you are trying to treat so be careful!
- Put On A Mask! Anyone who knows me knows the love I have for my face masks. In high school, my whole skin care routine consisted of cleansing, moisturizing and face masks any and ALL the time! I think a big reason I had pretty good skin is because I used face masks for all my breakouts and I ate well as well as exercised. These are all really important when it comes to getting and maintaining healthy skin. But, I digress! Back to the face masks, I have all sorts. Masks for hydrating, detoxing, pore-shrinking, antioxidants, etc. Pick one that you like and that’s right for your skin type. Check out some fun DIY Mask Recipes here that I love to do when I don’t have any store bought masks on hand.
- Don’t Stress! I know this is a tough one, but try your very best NOT to stress! Stressing throws your hormones out of whack which in turn, throws your skin out of balance. Actually it throws your whole body out of balance, which can do a whole manner of more stressful things to you! So save yourself the stress and don’t.
I hope you find these tips helpful!
What do you do when you get a breakout or to rid your skin of blackheads?
I’d love to know your methods!
I’ll Talk To You Soon! : ]